The Self Storage Association
The Self Storage Association (SSA UK) is the trade association for this exciting industry in the UK. Its role is to support its members, both self storage practitioners and industry suppliers, as well as raise awareness of the benefits of self storage and promote best practice within the industry. The Association arranges an annual conference and members’ meetings to share best practice as well as support the continued growth of the industry.
As a membership organisation, SSA UK is currently made up from more than 250 professional companies who either operate self storage facilities or who are high class suppliers to the industry. The Association’s membership continues to grow in line with the industry, which as a whole now currently accounts for more than 815 primary facilities, approximately 29.6 million rentable square feet and serves more than 250,000 customers across the UK.
The SSA UK is directed by experienced non executive directors from member organisations and has close affiliations with the Federation of European Self Storage Associations (FEDESSA). The professional management team of the Association is led by Rodney Walker CBE who is also Secretary General of FEDESSA.
(SSA) represents and supports the majority of self storage operators and suppliers in the UK. The Association supports its Members by promoting best practice, providing advice to operators and facilitating growth of the self storage industry in the UK.
What does the SSA do?
The Association’s mission is to enhance, promote and support the interests of all those who own, operate and invest in self storage in the UK through raising awareness of self storage and promoting best practice for the benefit of members and their customers. To achieve this, the SSA aims to:
- represent the United Kingdom self storage industry, nationally and internationally
- raise industry awareness nationally
- promote industry standards and codes of ethics for the benefit of customers
- promote (and when appropriate defend) the interests of the industry with relevant Government departments, agencies and regulatory bodies
- liaise with Government departments, agencies and regulatory bodies in respect of any relevant issue as may be required, and advise members accordingly
- communicate with existing members, regulatory bodies, the media, financial institutions and the public
- increase membership
- enhance the value of membership whilst continuing to support members
- provide regular, reliable and relevant industry news, statistics and information